Sunday, April 4, 2010

First week at Coldfoot

The past couple of days in Coldfoot have been great. Now I have gotten a tour of the camp, settled into my room, and met all of the other co-workers. The surprising thing is that a lot of them are from the midwest. There are a few from Chicago, one from souhern Illinois, one from Wisconsin, and one from Michigan. I think Alaska must attract people who need a little break from the midwest. All of the co-workers are really nice; everyone is just happy to be here. The weather here has been great compared to what it usually is this time of year. It has been sunny every day and during the day the temp climbs up into the 30's. It's still pretty cold at night, but no colder than it would be on a winter night in Rockford. The amount of daylight here is already more than we had at home; it doesn't get dark until around 11pm and it gets light around 5am. Everyone here said that this time of year, Coldfoot gains 6.5 minutes of daylight every day. The most exciting night of my last few days was tonight. I came outside to walk to the office so I could update my blog, and the Aurora was out. I had seen it a few nights ago, but it was in the distance and not very bright. Tonight, it is completely lighting up the sky. It is so amazing, I can't even describe how beautiful it is. The entire sky looks like a wave a bright green moving around; everyone should visit Alaska some day just to be able to see it in person. Well, I'm going to go back out and watch it for a while. I will post again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment